New Haven Real Estate
The first settlers in the New Haven area were chiefly the Native Americans of the Ojibwa/Cherokee tribe. The Swan Creek Chippewa is a predominant segment of the tribe. French settlers came to the area in 1835 when the first land was purchased from the federal government.
The settlement was originally called “New Baltimore Station” because of the Grand Trunk railroad depot located there that did its main commerce with the Village of New Baltimore, on Anchor Bay and at the other end of the New Haven/Romeo plank road (also known as the Ashley/Romeo Plank Road) that served the area. The portion of the plank road that went through the village became the main road of New Haven. This road changes its name a few times, becoming Main Street in New Haven and Washington Street in New Baltimore.
The Grand Trunk railroad company that built the railroad station in 1865 would handle freight, livestock, and later farm goods shipped by rail throughout the Midwest. The depot had a living quarters for the station agent and his family at one end. With rounded windows in the Italianate style, it was similar to the Smiths Creek depot that is now in Greenfield Village. The depot is still located in its original location, one of the few in the Midwest that can claim that distinction. It has been restored as the village museum.
New Haven received its first post office on January 6, 1838 and Charles B. Matthews was the postmaster. Adam Bennett was the most active organizer of the village in its earliest days.
Benjamin L. Bates was elected as the first Village President when The Village of New Haven was incorporated on May 3, 1869. New Haven is the largest incorporated area in Lenox Township of Macomb County.
By around 1875, early industries in the Village of New Haven included a general store, a sawmill, an iron foundry, a creamery, hardware store, a roller place that made flour, a farm supply business, two doctors, three flour, seed, and feed businesses, two garages to repair carriages and machinery of the day, a grocery and meat shop, a dry goods store, a drug store, a cooper (barrel) shop, two blacksmiths, two shoe and boot stores, a harness shop, a stove shop, two wagon shops, a livery stable, and a hotel chiefly known as the Graustark Hotel.
By the early 1900s, New Haven had electricity produced in a power house located on the north side of Ann Street, owned by Frank Phelps, also the owner of one of the first motorcars in the village. He had the dynamo that produced enough electricity to light the whole village located in the back of his building, originally called the Old Power House. In the front of the building he sold ice cream, candy and other items such as oyster stew. He would also project movies on weekend nights. He would use a large screen secured between two poles to project silent films (with phonograph accompaniment) to the townspeople.
New Haven built their own water system in 1945. In 1948, the New Haven Public Library was formed.
New Haven had a few newspapers in its history. It appears that the village had two newspapers during 1895. The Saturday, January 12, 1895, issue (Vol. I, No. 19) of The Advance was published by T.A. Barnard. Single issues cost three cents; a yearly subscription could be had for a dollar. The Friday, November 22, 1895, issue of The Weekly Star (Vol.I, No. 27), was published by Herman Burose & Co., and in 1912 there was The People’s Advocate. From 1919 to 1924 there was The New Haven Star. In the 1940s, there was the New Haven Herald, eventually purchased by the Anchor Bay Beacon of New Baltimore, Michigan.
In the early 2000s, multiple housing developers began construction on various new subdivisions within the community, bringing a new influx of population and a changing demographic to the community, shifting more so toward that of the middle class. The Great Recession of 2008 however, prematurely halted development in some of these subdivisions, leaving some of them still largely incomplete to this day.
New Haven Listings Summary
New Haven - Town vs. County Stats
Avg Price in New Haven: $254,600 / County Avg $362,400
Avg Taxes in New Haven: $2,600 / County Avg $3,700
Avg Sq. Ft. in New Haven: 1,777 / County Avg 1,955
Avg Price per/sqft in New Haven:$143 / County Avg $185
Avg Walkscore in New Haven: 28 / County Avg 34
Avg Year Built in New Haven: 2003 / County Avg 1980
Avg Days on Website in New Haven: 142 / County Avg 79